Canada blanks US for gold again in women's hockey
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) - February 25, 2010 -- Canada beat its American rival 2-0 to win the women's hockey gold medal in a third straight Olympics.
Marie-Philip Poulin scored two goals and Shannon Szabados made 28 saves Thursday before a raucous Vancouver crowd ringing cowbells and waving thousands of maple leaf flags.
After Poulin's two first-period scores, the Canadians dominated every aspect of the biggest game in this young sport, earning their 15th straight Olympic victory.
Playing with a consistency and passion its men's team hopes to emulate this weekend, Canada hasn't lost at the Olympics since 1998, when the Americans won their first women's gold.
winter olympics, sports
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park
- Another Beauty
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age 51 15 min ago
- Shots fired at man sitting on steps in Point Breeze
- Water main break buckles road in South Philly
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Photos: Pictures of bear sightings in the area
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age...
15 min ago
- NJ Gov. Christie is still a Dallas Cowboys...
53 min ago
- Sofitel Philadelphia's garden on the rooftop
55 min ago