Canada blanks US for gold again in women's hockey
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) - February 25, 2010 -- Canada beat its American rival 2-0 to win the women's hockey gold medal in a third straight Olympics.
Marie-Philip Poulin scored two goals and Shannon Szabados made 28 saves Thursday before a raucous Vancouver crowd ringing cowbells and waving thousands of maple leaf flags.
After Poulin's two first-period scores, the Canadians dominated every aspect of the biggest game in this young sport, earning their 15th straight Olympic victory.
Playing with a consistency and passion its men's team hopes to emulate this weekend, Canada hasn't lost at the Olympics since 1998, when the Americans won their first women's gold.
winter olympics, sports
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County 3 min ago
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?