Pirates P Jakubauskas hit in head with line drive
HOUSTON (AP) - April 24, 2010 -- Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Chris Jakubauskas was hit near his right ear by Lance Berkman's line drive in the first inning of Saturday's game in Houston and was carted off the field.
He was examined by Astros team doctor David Lintner and sent to Methodist Hospital for further tests. The Pirates said Jakubauskas would be kept at the hospital overnight for observation. The team was awaiting X-ray results.
The 31-year-old Jakubauskas was called up from the minors on Friday and was making his first start of the season.
Berkman drove a 1-0 pitch back to the mound and it hit Jakubauskas in the head. Jakubauskas fell and the ball bounced all the way back to catcher Jason Jaramillo.
Medical staffs from both teams ran to the mound as Jakubauskas stayed down, repeatedly kicking the dirt in obvious pain. Berkman ran to the mound, joining all of the Pirates infielders.
Jakubauskas was down for almost 5 minutes before he sat up, holding an ice pack and towel against his face. Jakubauskas was taken off the field on a medical cart. He gave a thumbs up to the crowd, who offered a standing ovation.
Right-hander D.J. Carrasco replaced Jakubauskas.
Jakubauskas appeared in 35 games (eight starts) for Seattle last season. The Pirates claimed him off waivers in November.
houston, pittsburgh, sports
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 25 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 18 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?