Tiger Woods tees off as divorce settlement rumors swirl
NEWTOWN SQUARE, Pa. - July 1, 2010 (WPVI) -- The AT&T National officially got under way today at the Aronimink Golf Club.
If the tabloid reports are right, Tiger will need the AT&T National trophy and the $1.1-million in prize money that comes with it.
While there is no official word on the divorce of Tiger and Elin Woods, there are several published reports claiming the former model got a lot of cash.
British tabloids claim Elin will receive a settlement worth $750-million
"She should be okay with that much; she should have a good life with that, she deserves it," Ellen Hoban of Havertown, Pa. said.
The British tabloids say, included in the agreement, women Tiger dates would not be allowed to be present while he is with his children. TMZ, however, is reporting that financial settlement figure is much smaller and Tiger Woods isn't even worth that much money.
Meanwhile, Aronimink was buzzing about the rumored divorce payout, but Tiger kept his customary cool demeanor with no outward signs that he's worried about the money.
His fans say he should just forget about it and concentrate on getting his first win since returning to the tour in April.
"I do hope that he gets his game together. Obviously, the layoffs hurt him, but he's one of the most exciting golfers I've ever seen," Adam Gold of Belmont Hills, Pa. said.
Tiger is no longer the official host of this tournament. But proceeds still benefit his foundation along with other charities, including Jon Bon Jovi's Soul Foundation.
Tiger may be in the spotlight, but the fans were at the AT&T National to see the rest of the field, as well.
They arrived by shuttle bus and were all eager to see the first PGA Tour event in the Delaware Valley in 8 years.
"Very excited, I kind of wish Phil [Mickelson] was here and some of the other guys, but it's still great to be here and it's great to see professional golf," Phil Tilghman of Thorndale, Pa. said.
pennsylvania, delaware county, tiger woods, sports
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ