Villanova struggles to defeat Penn 22-10
VILLANOVA, Pa. (AP) - September 25, 2010 -- Chris Whitney's 21-yard touchdown pass to Norman White put Villanova ahead to stay with less than five minutes left and the Wildcats held off Pennsylvania 22-10 on Saturday night.
Leading 15-10, Villanova (3-1) then turned it over to its defense. James Pitts intercepted Billy Ragone's pass on the Quakers' next possession and returned it 56 yards for the final margin.
Penn (1-1) then started at the Villanova 41 after Aaron Bailey's 46-yard kickoff return and it reached the 25 before losing the ball on downs.
Villanova, the defending Football Championship Subdivision champion, trailed 7-0 early in the second quarter but came back with a safety less than two minutes later when a bad snap sailed into the end zone.
After the ensuing free kick started it at the Penn 42, Villanova took a 9-7 lead into halftime on Angelo Babbaro's 1-yard touchdown run.
villanova, penn, sports
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media 40 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 19 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013 45 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
40 min ago