Janitor sentenced in Phillies ring theft
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - September 29, 2010 (WPVI) -- A former janitor has been sentenced for stealing a World Series ring left in a restroom at the Phillies' ballpark.
On Wednesday, a judge sentenced 54-year-old Anthony Mobley to 3 to 23 months in prison and four years probation.
Mobley pleaded guilty earlier this year in the theft of the $10,000, diamond-encrusted World Series ring in September, 2009.
Authorities say a Phillies marketing executive left the ring in a stadium washroom then discovered it was missing when he went back for it about a half-hour later.
Investigators say surveillance footage led police to Mobley, who took officers to where he'd stashed the ring in a supply closet.
Assistant District Attorney Anthony Nardozzi says the ring had been wedged between the ceiling and a wall.
Mobley's attorney previously said his client is a good man who made a poor decision.
Mobley spent decades in prison for a 1974 gang-related slaying. The judge says he had done well after his 2001 release, until the theft last year.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, south philadelphia, philadelphia phillies, sports
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days 8 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp today 43 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident 25 min ago
- Chesco man accused of sex assault on 2 young boys
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river 15 min ago
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in Hatfield robbery 23 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
8 min ago
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
25 min ago
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in...
23 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
15 min ago