Samuel fined $40,000 for helmet-to-helmet hit
PHILADELPHIA - November 24, 2010 -- Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel says he's been fined $40,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Giants wide receiver Derek Hagan that drew an unnecessary roughness penalty.
Samuel told reporters the amount of the fine before practice Wednesday. He sat out practice because he sprained his knee during the 27-17 win over New York last Sunday night.
Samuel, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, leads the NFL with seven interceptions. He has 42 career picks in eight seasons, but has never been known for being a physical player.
The league has cracked down on hits to the helmet in the last month, with Samuel's fines among the biggest the NFL has handed out.
concussion, philadelphia eagles, helmet-to-helmet, sports
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 31 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 10 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 10 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases