Samuel fined $40,000 for helmet-to-helmet hit
PHILADELPHIA - November 24, 2010 -- Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel says he's been fined $40,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Giants wide receiver Derek Hagan that drew an unnecessary roughness penalty.
Samuel told reporters the amount of the fine before practice Wednesday. He sat out practice because he sprained his knee during the 27-17 win over New York last Sunday night.
Samuel, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, leads the NFL with seven interceptions. He has 42 career picks in eight seasons, but has never been known for being a physical player.
The league has cracked down on hits to the helmet in the last month, with Samuel's fines among the biggest the NFL has handed out.
concussion, philadelphia eagles, helmet-to-helmet, sports
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall 51 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man gunned down at water ice stand
- Bicyclist shoots man in face in SW Philadelphia 21 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia 59 min ago
- Man shot in the head in Camden; suspect sought 57 min ago
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces 2 min ago
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc