University of Delaware crowing about Blue Hens
NEWARK, Del. - January 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- At the University of Delaware, everyone is crowing about the Fightin' Blue Hens.
The football team is gearing up for the Division I FCS championship game this Friday. They'll take on the Eastern Washington Eagles at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas.
The Blue Hens last made it to a championship game in 2007.
"It's going to be a great experience. Delaware went a few years ago, three years ago, but hopefully this year they will win it though," said student Jordan Meyer.
At the campus store, they were restocking Blue Hen items that flew off shelves before winter break.
"A lot of people went Christmas shopping, we had a big sale," said student Debonee Rowe. "Everybody bought the football hoodies."
Its been a long successful season that started four long months ago. Coach KC Keeler was asked about the Eastern Washington Eagles.
"They remind me of us, they are not real complicated. They are very sound, they do things that make sense," said Keeler.
Back at the student union, fans were making plans. Jane Johnston was looking for a ticket for the game just north of Dallas. She has already signed up for a charter bus.
"I am going," Johnston said.
Most said they will watch on ESPN2, but some like Kyle Kovalsky were debating traveling west.
"I am definitely thinking about it. That opportunity might be worth missing a day of classes," he said.
The team is scheduled to fly out on Tuesday. Its charter flight should get them to Texas in two or three hours.
For students looking to go by car or bus - the trip will take some 24 hours.
delaware, University of Delaware, sports, john rawlins
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies