Rutgers tops Villanova on last-second 4-point play
PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP) - February 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- Jonathan Mitchell's four-point play with less than a second remaining capped a career-high 25-point performance and gave Rutgers a 77-76 victory over No. 9 Villanova on Wednesday night.
Mitchell, who was coming off a career-best 24 points in a loss to Notre Dame, hit a 3-point shot from about 25 feet and was fouled by Corey Fisher. After a Villanova timeout, Mitchell, a 74 percent free throw shooter, hit the tiebreaker.
Fisher's length-of-the-court inbound pass was caught by Maurice Sutton as he fell out of bounds. The Rutgers students poured on the court - nothing like the football fans did after a win over Cincinnati in 2006 - and the celebration was on.
Fisher had 23 points, went 5 of 7 from 3-point range and had 10 assists and five steals, but he had a miserable final 7 seconds.
villanova, villanova wildcats, sports
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app 12 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for missing Rider University student 51 min ago
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila. 57 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million 40 min ago
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook 41 min ago
- Stolen Xmas decorations returned in Berks Co.
- Video captures Manayunk market break-in
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Eva Pilgrim on highway storm preparations
30 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million
40 min ago
- Army, Navy teams compete in Rocky Relay
23 min ago