Califf leads Union to 1-0 win over Dynamo
HOUSTON (AP) - March 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Danny Califf scored in the fifth minute, and the Philadelphia Union held on for a 1-0 win over the Houston Dynamo on Saturday night.
Califf put Philadelphia (1-0-0) on the board after converting a rebound off a shot by Sebastien Le Toux shot and slamming it in. Le Toux's shot off the throw-in hit the right crossbar, but Califf was there to knock it in from inside the 6-yard box on the right side.
Houston (0-1-0) had several chances to tie the score, including a point-blank shot on a wide open net by Dominic Oduro in the 68th minute, but his shot from 8 yards out in the middle went over the net.
The Union had a chance to extend their lead in 56th minute, but Justin Mapp's shot from the right box was stopped by goalkeeper Tally Hall. Four minutes later, Danny Mwanga's shot from the right box went wide right.
philadelphia union, houston, sports
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ