Califf leads Union to 1-0 win over Dynamo
HOUSTON (AP) - March 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Danny Califf scored in the fifth minute, and the Philadelphia Union held on for a 1-0 win over the Houston Dynamo on Saturday night.
Califf put Philadelphia (1-0-0) on the board after converting a rebound off a shot by Sebastien Le Toux shot and slamming it in. Le Toux's shot off the throw-in hit the right crossbar, but Califf was there to knock it in from inside the 6-yard box on the right side.
Houston (0-1-0) had several chances to tie the score, including a point-blank shot on a wide open net by Dominic Oduro in the 68th minute, but his shot from 8 yards out in the middle went over the net.
The Union had a chance to extend their lead in 56th minute, but Justin Mapp's shot from the right box was stopped by goalkeeper Tally Hall. Four minutes later, Danny Mwanga's shot from the right box went wide right.
philadelphia union, houston, sports
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 54 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry 53 min ago