Califf leads Union to 1-0 win over Dynamo
HOUSTON (AP) - March 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Danny Califf scored in the fifth minute, and the Philadelphia Union held on for a 1-0 win over the Houston Dynamo on Saturday night.
Califf put Philadelphia (1-0-0) on the board after converting a rebound off a shot by Sebastien Le Toux shot and slamming it in. Le Toux's shot off the throw-in hit the right crossbar, but Califf was there to knock it in from inside the 6-yard box on the right side.
Houston (0-1-0) had several chances to tie the score, including a point-blank shot on a wide open net by Dominic Oduro in the 68th minute, but his shot from 8 yards out in the middle went over the net.
The Union had a chance to extend their lead in 56th minute, but Justin Mapp's shot from the right box was stopped by goalkeeper Tally Hall. Four minutes later, Danny Mwanga's shot from the right box went wide right.
philadelphia union, houston, sports
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 41 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery 8 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Police search for suspects in religious...
8 min ago