Motocross champ charged with impersonating officer
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - March 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- Motocross star James "Bubba" Stewart has been arrested in Orlando after authorities said he tried to pull over two off-duty highway patrol troopers while impersonating a police officer.
According to Florida Highway Patrol arrest affidavits, the 25-year-old Stewart of Bartow was arrested Monday night along with 44-year-old Quinault Jehrrod of Corona, Calif.
Authorities say Stewart, who listed an address in Haines City, had red and blue lights in the dash area of his truck when he tried to pull over a car with two off-duty troopers who identified themselves. Stewart then sped off.
The troopers notified authorities and Stewart was eventually stopped at the Orlando International Airport, where he and Jehrrod were arrested.
Both men agreed to talk to officers and according to the affidavits, Stewart admitted to activating the lights and Jehrrod to hiding them in his backpack when officers pulled them over. Stewart told officers that he got the lights at a flea market.
Jehrrod was charged with tampering with evidence. The charge against Stewart is a first-degree misdemeanor. Jehrrod's charge is a third-degree felony.
Both men were taken to Orange County jail and released after posting cash bonds.
It is not known what legal representation the men have. A phone message left with Yamaha Motor Corporation, who Stewart raced for in 2010, was not immediately returned.
Stewart rose to prominence as one of the few African-Americans participating in the sport of motocross and super cross racing. He was named the American Motorcyclist Association Rookie of the Year in 2002 during his debut professional season and has since won multiple AMA super cross and motocross titles.
orlando, florida, police impersonator, sports
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text 47 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch