117th Penn Relays kick off in Philadelphia
UNIVERSITY CITY - April 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- A 117-year-old tradition of track and field prowess continues in University City.
Some of the finest prep and collegiate athletes are gathering for the Penn Relays
The Penn Relays is a rite of spring for 20,000 runners, throwers and jumpers.
Saturday is always the big day: Big names appear; Tickets are still available.
But if you think this is all about the young, think again.
On Friday, it was the Master Athletes running. The winning time in one 100 meter heat was 12.6 seconds; the winner's age was 63. Retired School teacher Charles Allie has been running since he was a kid.
"I just didn't stop," Allie told Action News.
university city, pennsylvania, philadelphia, sports, john rawlins
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ