117th Penn Relays kick off in Philadelphia
UNIVERSITY CITY - April 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- A 117-year-old tradition of track and field prowess continues in University City.
Some of the finest prep and collegiate athletes are gathering for the Penn Relays
The Penn Relays is a rite of spring for 20,000 runners, throwers and jumpers.
Saturday is always the big day: Big names appear; Tickets are still available.
But if you think this is all about the young, think again.
On Friday, it was the Master Athletes running. The winning time in one 100 meter heat was 12.6 seconds; the winner's age was 63. Retired School teacher Charles Allie has been running since he was a kid.
"I just didn't stop," Allie told Action News.
university city, pennsylvania, philadelphia, sports, john rawlins
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 7 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
7 min ago
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
7 min ago