117th Penn Relays kick off in Philadelphia
UNIVERSITY CITY - April 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- A 117-year-old tradition of track and field prowess continues in University City.
Some of the finest prep and collegiate athletes are gathering for the Penn Relays
The Penn Relays is a rite of spring for 20,000 runners, throwers and jumpers.
Saturday is always the big day: Big names appear; Tickets are still available.
But if you think this is all about the young, think again.
On Friday, it was the Master Athletes running. The winning time in one 100 meter heat was 12.6 seconds; the winner's age was 63. Retired School teacher Charles Allie has been running since he was a kid.
"I just didn't stop," Allie told Action News.
university city, pennsylvania, philadelphia, sports, john rawlins
- Boy killed in Chester accident ID'd
- Unsettled to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman pulled from Phila. collapse loses both legs
- Committee sets hearings on demolitions in Phila.
- Video: Dash cam view of Lindenwold school bus crash
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Monday's storms
- Multi-alarm fire at titanium plant in Berks
- Girl, 4, dies after crash that killed father
- Burlington taxi driver death ruled homicide, victim ID'd
- Photos: 7 arrests in Phila. prostitution cases
- Automatic renewal contracts
- Tracy ties it in 9th, but Phils win in bottom half