Michigan men, Purdue women win at Dad Vail regatta
PHILADELPHIA - May 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- Michigan and Purdue took the men's and women's varsity heavyweight eight titles and amassed the most points in Saturday's 73rd Dad Vail Regatta.
The Michigan men covered the 2,000-meter course in 5:48.1, followed by Florida Tech (5:51.0) and Delaware (5:51.7). The Purdue women finished in 6:38.49, ahead of Old Dominion (6:38.82) and Grand Valley (6:43.43).
Purdue led overall with a total of 41 points, followed by Michigan (33) and Delaware (27).
Michigan led the men with 33 points, followed by Virginia (24) and Delaware (22). The Purdue women led with 21 points, followed by St. Joseph's (17) and Grand Valley State (13).
The Dad Vail Regatta, on the Schuylkill River, is North America's largest collegiate rowing competition, featuring more than 3,000 rowers from 120 U.S. and Canadian colleges and universities.
Crew enthusiasts were out in force on the Schuylkill for the Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta.
National pride and school pride was evident. Crews from all over the country attended the event; the Pac 10, Big Ten, and the Big East among them.
Ladies from Villanova earned a 3rd place medal in the freshman class, a payoff for a year's worth of hard work.
"It feels great," said Jackie Prazenica. "We've been working really hard for this."
"It's just great to see everybody who loves rowing gather together and just share their love of the sport," said Laura Valenstein.
6abc broadcast the event, and our own Keith Russell was manning the broadcast booth.
The Dad Vail is one big party, where the cocktails flowed and the fun ran all day long.
Mother Nature has been kinder in years past. It was a day to put on the rain gear, but it didn't dampen the spirit of the event.
Villanova took the Women's Heavyweight 4, among the local winners.
For complete listing of the winners visit the Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta website at http://www.dadvail.org/Link:
dad vail regatta, philadelphia, pennsylvania, sports, chad pradelli
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking 40 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 47 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 58 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
40 min ago