Michigan men, Purdue women win at Dad Vail regatta
PHILADELPHIA - May 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- Michigan and Purdue took the men's and women's varsity heavyweight eight titles and amassed the most points in Saturday's 73rd Dad Vail Regatta.
The Michigan men covered the 2,000-meter course in 5:48.1, followed by Florida Tech (5:51.0) and Delaware (5:51.7). The Purdue women finished in 6:38.49, ahead of Old Dominion (6:38.82) and Grand Valley (6:43.43).
Purdue led overall with a total of 41 points, followed by Michigan (33) and Delaware (27).
Michigan led the men with 33 points, followed by Virginia (24) and Delaware (22). The Purdue women led with 21 points, followed by St. Joseph's (17) and Grand Valley State (13).
The Dad Vail Regatta, on the Schuylkill River, is North America's largest collegiate rowing competition, featuring more than 3,000 rowers from 120 U.S. and Canadian colleges and universities.
Crew enthusiasts were out in force on the Schuylkill for the Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta.
National pride and school pride was evident. Crews from all over the country attended the event; the Pac 10, Big Ten, and the Big East among them.
Ladies from Villanova earned a 3rd place medal in the freshman class, a payoff for a year's worth of hard work.
"It feels great," said Jackie Prazenica. "We've been working really hard for this."
"It's just great to see everybody who loves rowing gather together and just share their love of the sport," said Laura Valenstein.
6abc broadcast the event, and our own Keith Russell was manning the broadcast booth.
The Dad Vail is one big party, where the cocktails flowed and the fun ran all day long.
Mother Nature has been kinder in years past. It was a day to put on the rain gear, but it didn't dampen the spirit of the event.
Villanova took the Women's Heavyweight 4, among the local winners.
For complete listing of the winners visit the Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta website at http://www.dadvail.org/Link:
dad vail regatta, philadelphia, pennsylvania, sports, chad pradelli
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 16 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
50 min ago