Michigan men, Purdue women win at Dad Vail regatta
PHILADELPHIA - May 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- Michigan and Purdue took the men's and women's varsity heavyweight eight titles and amassed the most points in Saturday's 73rd Dad Vail Regatta.
The Michigan men covered the 2,000-meter course in 5:48.1, followed by Florida Tech (5:51.0) and Delaware (5:51.7). The Purdue women finished in 6:38.49, ahead of Old Dominion (6:38.82) and Grand Valley (6:43.43).
Purdue led overall with a total of 41 points, followed by Michigan (33) and Delaware (27).
Michigan led the men with 33 points, followed by Virginia (24) and Delaware (22). The Purdue women led with 21 points, followed by St. Joseph's (17) and Grand Valley State (13).
The Dad Vail Regatta, on the Schuylkill River, is North America's largest collegiate rowing competition, featuring more than 3,000 rowers from 120 U.S. and Canadian colleges and universities.
Crew enthusiasts were out in force on the Schuylkill for the Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta.
National pride and school pride was evident. Crews from all over the country attended the event; the Pac 10, Big Ten, and the Big East among them.
Ladies from Villanova earned a 3rd place medal in the freshman class, a payoff for a year's worth of hard work.
"It feels great," said Jackie Prazenica. "We've been working really hard for this."
"It's just great to see everybody who loves rowing gather together and just share their love of the sport," said Laura Valenstein.
6abc broadcast the event, and our own Keith Russell was manning the broadcast booth.
The Dad Vail is one big party, where the cocktails flowed and the fun ran all day long.
Mother Nature has been kinder in years past. It was a day to put on the rain gear, but it didn't dampen the spirit of the event.
Villanova took the Women's Heavyweight 4, among the local winners.
For complete listing of the winners visit the Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta website at http://www.dadvail.org/Link:
dad vail regatta, philadelphia, pennsylvania, sports, chad pradelli
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 50 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date 33 min ago
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital 36 min ago
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police