Almost an Eagle: Jaiquawn Jarrett waits
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - June 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- Eagles second-round draft pick Jaiquawn Jarrett isn't exactly living the dream of a professional football player. At least not yet.
Thanks to the NFL lockout, Jarrett has no contact with the Eagles. The safety doesn't even have a playbook to study, nor has he received a dime from the team.
"It still hasn't sunk in that I'm a pro football player," said Jarrett. "But my family and friends around me make me feel like I'm a professional by the jokes I receive from them."
Jarrett is making sure he won't be a joke when the lockout is lifted. The former Temple University star is working out five days a week here on campus, sometimes with some of his old college teammates, to make sure he's ready to make the leap to the next level.
"It's real difficult, I don't have any contact with the coaching staff, no playbook," he told Action News. "So I'm really out here getting in shape, trying to make sure I stay on top of my football drills and my technique so I can be ready for that phone call.
The Eagles can't even tell Jarrett what to work on, but he did get some helpful advice from a guy who knows what he's talking about. Legendary former Eagles safety Brian Dawkins called Jarrett a few days after he was drafted to give him some pointers.
"It really was a great feeling," said Jarrett. "It's a privilege to speak to one of the greatest players to play this game."
It was certainly was a welcoming call, considering Eagles coach Andy Reid even compared Jarrett to Dawkins after their drafted him 54th overall. Only time will tell if Jarrett can live up to the hype.
philadelphia eagles, nfl, sports, jeff skversky
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused sex with student 9 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 26 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar