Annual benefit special for Eagles' David Akers
NORTHERN LIBERTIES - June 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- Week in, week out, Eagles fans saw David Akers make kick after kick. But what you haven't seen are his weekly visits to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP).
Last night, Akers held his tenth annual Kicks for Kids benefit, which has raised over a half million dollars for families who have children being treated at CHOP.
"If you're fighting for your life, you're a true warrior. And these kids are fighting a fight they shouldn't have to be going through," said Akers.
His weekly visits started seven years ago when Akers had to visit his own son. His oldest, Luke, had a MRSA infection which spread to his eyes.
And then just a few months ago, Akers was back at CHOP again with his 6-year-old daughter Halley, who had her left ovary removed because of a malignant cyst.
"As a parent, I can't describe the pain you go through. I was a mess," said Akers.
"I can't say enough about Children's Hospital. They saved both of our children's lives," said Akers's wife Erika.
Seeing firsthand what his kids and others go through helps keep his professional life in perspective. Akers is a free agent and doesn't where he'll play next season.
"I would walk away right now from the game, I would do it in a heartbeat to know that everything would be fine. I think any true parent would tell you the same thing," he said.
No matter where he plays next season, it is clear this is the team Akers cares about most.
philadelphia eagles, david akers, philadelphia, sports, jeff skversky
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 21 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa 41 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom