Steelers' Hines Ward arrested on DUI charge in Ga.
DECATUR, Ga. (AP) - July 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- Pittsburgh Steelers star wide receiver Hines Ward was arrested early Saturday in Georgia on a drunken driving charge, sheriff's officials said.
The former Super Bowl MVP and reigning "Dancing With the Stars" champ was booked into the DeKalb County jail at 3:41 a.m. and charged with driving under the influence. A jail official said he was released on $1,300 bond, though the sheriff's office website said his bond was set at $1,000. The discrepancy couldn't be immediately resolved Saturday.
The sheriff's office said it had turned over paperwork to the courts and couldn't release any further information about the player's arrest. DeKalb County police did not return repeated emails and phone calls seeking details of the arrest.
Atlanta lawyer Andrew Ree issued a statement saying the 35-year-old Ward cooperated fully with police and truthfully answered their questions.
"From our preliminary investigation we can tell you that we are confident that the facts will show that Hines was NOT impaired by alcohol while driving," Ree wrote. "However, Hines is deeply saddened by this incident and apologizes to his fans and the Steelers organization for this distraction."
A Steelers spokesman did not immediately respond to a message. Since being drafted in the third round out of Georgia in 1998, Ward has been a four-time Pro Bowl selection, playing on teams that won two Super Bowls.
Dancing with professional partner Kym Johnson, Ward in May became the second professional football player to win the "Dancing" crown after Emmitt Smith won in 2006. He bested actresses Kirstie Alley and Chelsea Kane to become the season 12 champion of the TV celebrity dance competition.
hines ward, pittsburgh steelers, DUI, georgia, sports
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 32 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 35 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession 33 min ago
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
32 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
35 min ago