La Salle holds off Xavier 80-70 in A-10 opener
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - January 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Earl Pettis scored a season-high 23 points as La Salle held off Xavier 80-70 on Wednesday night in the Atlantic 10 Conference opener for both teams.
The Explorers (11-4) have won four straight and nine of their last 10 contests while the Musketeers (9-5) have lost five of six since their brawl with Cincinnati on Dec. 10.
La Salle led 46-30 at halftime and by 18 in the second half.
A Mark Lyons 3-pointer cut the lead to five, at 74-69, with 1:45 to play, but the Explorers sealed the win with a Devon White dunk and four free throws.
Ramon Galloway added 16 points, hitting 3 of 5 3-pointers for the Explorers, who were 9 of 26 from long range.
La Salle is 11-0 when scoring 70 points and 10-1 when making at least eight 3s.
Tu Holloway and Dezmine Wells led the Musketeers with 15 points apiece.
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 12 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philadelphia 2 min ago
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
12 min ago
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW...
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos