MLB expands playoffs from 8 teams to 10
NEW YORK - March 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Major League Baseball is expanding its playoff format to 10 teams.
MLB announced the move Friday, adding two clubs to the postseason format.
A second wild-card team now will be included in each league. There then will be a one-game playoff to decide which team advances.
Commissioner Bud Selig says the change "increases the rewards of a division championship and allows two additional markets to experience playoff baseball each year."
This is the first change in baseball's playoff structure since the 1995 season, when wild-card teams were first added.
philadelphia phillies, sports
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
- Soupy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- Police: Driver under influence crashes into fire dept.
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure
- Bucks County bear now spotted in Bristol Twp.
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr