MLB expands playoffs from 8 teams to 10
NEW YORK - March 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Major League Baseball is expanding its playoff format to 10 teams.
MLB announced the move Friday, adding two clubs to the postseason format.
A second wild-card team now will be included in each league. There then will be a one-game playoff to decide which team advances.
Commissioner Bud Selig says the change "increases the rewards of a division championship and allows two additional markets to experience playoff baseball each year."
This is the first change in baseball's playoff structure since the 1995 season, when wild-card teams were first added.
philadelphia phillies, sports
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app 50 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors 14 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million 7 min ago
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook
- Stolen Xmas decorations returned in Berks Co. 18 min ago
- Video captures Manayunk market break-in
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering