Lehigh beats Bucknell 82-77 to win Patriot League
LEWISBURG, Pa. (AP) - March 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Gabe Knutson blocked Cameron Ayers' baseline layup attempt with 7 seconds left and C.J. McCollum scored 29 points to help Lehigh hold off Bucknell 82-77 on Wednesday night to win the Patriot League tournament.
After Mackey McKnight missed two foul shots, the Bison trailed 78-77 and had a chance to take the lead, but couldn't get the ball into leading scorer Mike Muscala.
McCollum and Jordan Hamilton each hit two foul shots in the final 4 seconds, and Lehigh (26-7) began celebrating after clinching its second trip to the NCAA tournament in three seasons.
This one will be especially sweet for Lehigh after beating Bucknell (24-9) on its home floor. Lehigh rarely flinched behind league player of the year McCollum, who hit an array of tough shots to help withstand Bucknell's second-half rally from an 11-point deficit.
Muscala finished with 30 points for Bucknell.
lehigh county, lehigh university, sports
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 19 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden 47 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 7 min ago
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party 14 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 20 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos