Drexel bounces back, trounces UCF 81-56
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - March 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Frantz Massenat had 18 points and 14 assists, and Chris Fouch scored 19, as Drexel shook off the disappointment of not making the NCAA tournament by trouncing Central Florida, 81-56, in the first round of the NIT on Wednesday night.
The Dragons (28-6), out of the Colonial Athletic Association, were viewed as one of the bigger snubs from the NCAA field, and coach Bruiser Flint made it a point this week to say the team would bounce back and "try to go out and win the NIT."
So far, so good.
Drexel, which set a school record for wins, scored the first nine points, and never looked back. The Dragons led, 37-24, at the half, and will now prepare to host Northern Iowa in the second round next week.
Keith Clanton led the Knights (22-11) with 12 points.
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown
- Spotty, Drenching Downpours
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- I-5 bridge collapses in Washington
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Armed robber steals $800 from Northeast Philadelphia bank
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- Obama to tour Jersey Shore with Gov. Christie
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets year of free McDonald's