McCollum leads Lehigh to 75-70 upset win over Duke
GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) - March 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- C.J. McCollum scored 30 points and Lehigh upset Duke 75-70 on Friday night in the second round of the NCAA tournament.
Lehigh became the sixth No. 15 seed to beat a No. 2 and the first since Norfolk State pulled off the trick earlier in the day.
Duke dropped its first tournament game for only the second time in the past 16 years, and this one occurred just 55 miles from its campus.
The Blue Devils had no answer for McCollum, a speedy guard who's a two-time Patriot League player of the year and the nation's fifth-leading scorer.
It didn't help that the Blue Devils hit just 6 of 26 shots from 3-point range.
Lehigh (27-7) led most of the game, drawing support from North Carolina fans who borrowed brown signs from Mountain Hawks supporters that read "Go Lehigh" to root against their rivals.
lehigh university, ncaa basketball, north carolina, sports
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death 17 min ago
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released 43 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 36 min ago
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack
- SEPTA police chief using Twitter to fight crime 32 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- The 10-minute nose job
3 min ago
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
43 min ago
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off...
36 min ago