Givens leads Drexel over Northern Iowa in NIT
PHILADELPHIA - March 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Samme Givens scored 28 points to lead Drexel to a 65-63 win over Northern Iowa on Sunday in the second round of the NIT.
Chris Fouch added 16 points for the Dragons (29-6), who host Massachusetts in a quarterfinal game on Tuesday.
Johnny Moran scored 19 points to lead Northern Iowa (20-14).
Drexel led by as many as 18 in the first half before Moran's 3-pointer with 34.6 seconds left closed the margin to 61-60. Northern Iowa then fouled Givens out of a timeout and he made 1 of 2 free throws with 24.3 seconds to go.
The Panthers' Anthony James missed a driving layup at the other end and Damion Lee hit two free throws with 12.9 seconds left to make it 64-60.
Chip Rank gave the Panthers life with a 3-pointer with 6.1 seconds remaining, but Frantz Massenat made 1 of 2 free throws before Moran's last-second 3-point attempt went off the back rim.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, drexel, sports
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more 55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia 39 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 6 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
6 min ago