Givens leads Drexel over Northern Iowa in NIT
PHILADELPHIA - March 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Samme Givens scored 28 points to lead Drexel to a 65-63 win over Northern Iowa on Sunday in the second round of the NIT.
Chris Fouch added 16 points for the Dragons (29-6), who host Massachusetts in a quarterfinal game on Tuesday.
Johnny Moran scored 19 points to lead Northern Iowa (20-14).
Drexel led by as many as 18 in the first half before Moran's 3-pointer with 34.6 seconds left closed the margin to 61-60. Northern Iowa then fouled Givens out of a timeout and he made 1 of 2 free throws with 24.3 seconds to go.
The Panthers' Anthony James missed a driving layup at the other end and Damion Lee hit two free throws with 12.9 seconds left to make it 64-60.
Chip Rank gave the Panthers life with a 3-pointer with 6.1 seconds remaining, but Frantz Massenat made 1 of 2 free throws before Moran's last-second 3-point attempt went off the back rim.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, drexel, sports
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- Shower In Spots
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- No Triple Crown: Oxbow upsets Orb at Preakness