Simpson outlasts McDowell, Thompson to win US Open
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - June 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Webb Simpson has won the U.S. Open for his first major title.
Simpson saved par on the hilly 18th hole with a chip from the rough to about 4 feet, closing with a 2-under 68 to hold off Graeme McDowell and Michael Thompson in a foggy final round at The Olympic Club on Sunday. Simpson finished at 1-over 281.
Michael Thompson and Graeme McDowell were a shot back.
McDowell missed a birdie putt from about 25 feet on the final hole that would have forced an 18-hole playoff Monday. The Northern Irishman won the title at Pebble Beach two years ago.
Tiger Woods closed at 7 over after 73.
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3
- Prosecutor: no charges against George Zimmerman
- Protestors block ICE building in Spring Garden
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Power returns after outage at Christiana Mall
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro