Female teen wrestler turning heads in Pa. and beyond
WYNNEWOOD, Pa. - July 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- In a sport dominated by boys, a 4-foot 10-inch tall girl is making a name for herself.
Friends' Central School sophomore Olivia LoGiurato is the first female wrestler to ever medal in the Pennsylvania Boys Independent Wrestling Tournament this year
And oh - by the way, the 15-year-old has only been wrestling for two years
"Like, you beat a boy and they feel really bad about themselves. But if you lose, then it's like, 'It's okay, it's a boy,'" she said.
As much as she loves beating up on the boys, Olivia is really turning heads in women's wrestling.
She finished in the top 12 in the entire country last year at the junior nationals, and she's won two tournaments in Canada over the last two years in her 106-pound weight class.
Olivia is hoping all the sweat and all the hard work continues to pay off so she can one day make the U.S. Olympic team. Right now she's eyeing the 2016 games in Rio.
"I would love it, I don't know what I would do," said Olivia. She told me getting on the Olympic team would be a dream come true.
"It will take an awful lot of dedication, an awful lot of work," said her coach Ron Tirpak.
Up next, the junior nationals next week. That's where she'll try to continue to make her moves climbing the national rankings.
wrestling, philadelphia, pennsylvania, teens, sports, jeff skversky
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect 58 min ago
- A Nice Stretch 50 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp. 15 min ago
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot...
58 min ago
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in...
15 min ago