Brian Westbrook to retire as a Philadelphia Eagle
PHILADELPHIA - August 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia football great Brian Westbrook will be rejoining his former team this December to retire with the Eagles.
The 32-year-old running back will be honored in front of fans during halftime on December 23 against the Washington Redskins at Lincoln Financial Field.
Brian attended Villanova University, where he had a historic career. Among his accomplishments is having set the all-time record for all-purpose yards in NCAA Division I-AA history with 9,885. In 2002 Westbrook entered the NFL Draft where he was picked up by the Philadelphia Eagles in the third round.
During his time with the Eagles, Westbrook quickly earned a reputation as a playmaker for his tough, electrifying jolts out of the backfield. His career season came in 2007 when he led the league with 2,104 scrimmage yards and earned All Pro honors.
The two-time Pro Bowl running back finished his career with the Eagles in 2009. He played in 107 games, 85 of which he started, in eight seasons with the Eagles. Westbrook left as the franchise leader in yards from scrimmage (9,785), second in franchise annals in rushing yards (5,995), and third in receptions (426) and total touchdowns (68). Among Eagles running backs he tops the list in all-time receptions, receiving yards (3,790) and receiving touchdowns (29). In addition, in the 11 playoff games in which he played, Westbrook ranks first in club history in career rushing yards (591) and total touchdowns (6).
After leaving Philadelphia he played in 14 games for the San Francisco 49ers in 2010, during which time he ran for 490 yards from scrimmage and scored five total touchdowns.
Westbrook will be made available to the media at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at the NovaCare Complex.
philadelphia, philadelphia eagles, brian westbrook, sports
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Cloudy And Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Wife hid murdered husband, prosecutors say
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Video: Father, son to graduate college together
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos