Brian Westbrook to retire as a Philadelphia Eagle
PHILADELPHIA - August 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia football great Brian Westbrook will be rejoining his former team this December to retire with the Eagles.
The 32-year-old running back will be honored in front of fans during halftime on December 23 against the Washington Redskins at Lincoln Financial Field.
Brian attended Villanova University, where he had a historic career. Among his accomplishments is having set the all-time record for all-purpose yards in NCAA Division I-AA history with 9,885. In 2002 Westbrook entered the NFL Draft where he was picked up by the Philadelphia Eagles in the third round.
During his time with the Eagles, Westbrook quickly earned a reputation as a playmaker for his tough, electrifying jolts out of the backfield. His career season came in 2007 when he led the league with 2,104 scrimmage yards and earned All Pro honors.
The two-time Pro Bowl running back finished his career with the Eagles in 2009. He played in 107 games, 85 of which he started, in eight seasons with the Eagles. Westbrook left as the franchise leader in yards from scrimmage (9,785), second in franchise annals in rushing yards (5,995), and third in receptions (426) and total touchdowns (68). Among Eagles running backs he tops the list in all-time receptions, receiving yards (3,790) and receiving touchdowns (29). In addition, in the 11 playoff games in which he played, Westbrook ranks first in club history in career rushing yards (591) and total touchdowns (6).
After leaving Philadelphia he played in 14 games for the San Francisco 49ers in 2010, during which time he ran for 490 yards from scrimmage and scored five total touchdowns.
Westbrook will be made available to the media at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at the NovaCare Complex.
philadelphia, philadelphia eagles, brian westbrook, sports
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 6 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash 31 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 23 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back 50 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ