76ers hold on to beat Nets in Brooklyn 106-96
NEW YORK - October 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Thaddeus Young had 24 points and nine rebounds, Dorell Wright added 18 points and 11 rebounds off the bench, and the Philadelphia 76ers held on to beat the Brooklyn Nets 106-96 on Friday night.
The Nets have lost their last two preseason games on their $1 billion home court after opening it with a win over Washington on Monday night.
The 76ers led by as much as 12 points in the third quarter but Brooklyn cut it to 97-96 with 3:07 left in the game after a pair of free throws by Brook Lopez, who led the Nets with 23 points and nine rebounds.
But Thaddeus Young answered with a fadeaway jumper to make it 99-96 and Wright followed with two free throws to extend Philadelphia's lead to 101-96 with 2:06 remaining. Nick Young's 3-pointer made it 104-96 and Deron Williams, who had 22 points, missed a 3-pointer.
The Nets have one more preseason game remaining, Wednesday night at the Nassau Coliseum against the New York Knicks, before the teams open against each other on Nov. 1.
Philadelphia has won its last three games and has two remaining, at Boston on Sunday night and then Monday night at home against the Knicks.
philadelphia 76ers, philadelphia, sports
- Snow today, heavy at times
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Heavy flames damage Southwest Philadelphia house 58 min ago
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- John Rawlins tracks the snowstorm
31 min ago
- Katherine Scott tracks the storm from...
29 min ago