76ers will honor former stars on opening night
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - October 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia 76ers are bringing back former stars Moses Malone and Dikembe Mutombo as part of their opening night festivities on Wednesday.
The stars return as the Sixers kick off the start of their 50th anniversary celebration. They will wear their new alternate blue uniforms, usually worn on the road, and every fan in the arena will receive a 50th anniversary blue T-shirt.
The Sixers also upgraded their overhead scoreboard so the entire box score will be displayed. Their biggest attraction won't be injured 7-footer Andrew Bynum, but their new 10-foot, 600-pound T-shirt launcher dubbed "Big Bella," which shoots 100 shirts between 15 and 20 seconds.
Sixers CEO Adam Aron says they also will parachute T-shirts and other merchandise or tickets from the top of the arena into the stands.
philadelphia 76ers, philadelphia, sports
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Cloudy And Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Witnesses: Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case 55 min ago
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion 40 min ago
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen