76ers will honor former stars on opening night
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - October 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia 76ers are bringing back former stars Moses Malone and Dikembe Mutombo as part of their opening night festivities on Wednesday.
The stars return as the Sixers kick off the start of their 50th anniversary celebration. They will wear their new alternate blue uniforms, usually worn on the road, and every fan in the arena will receive a 50th anniversary blue T-shirt.
The Sixers also upgraded their overhead scoreboard so the entire box score will be displayed. Their biggest attraction won't be injured 7-footer Andrew Bynum, but their new 10-foot, 600-pound T-shirt launcher dubbed "Big Bella," which shoots 100 shirts between 15 and 20 seconds.
Sixers CEO Adam Aron says they also will parachute T-shirts and other merchandise or tickets from the top of the arena into the stands.
philadelphia 76ers, philadelphia, sports
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes 26 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police