No. 6 Kansas turns back Temple, 69-62
LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) - January 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Kevin Young had 16 points, hitting four critical free throws down the stretch, and sixth-ranked Kansas fended off pesky Temple 69-62 on Sunday for the Jayhawks' 11th straight win.
Travis Releford added 14 points on 5 for 5 shooting, none of his baskets bigger than a 3-pointer from the wing with 34.9 seconds left. With the shot-clock winding down, Releford's shot gave Kansas a 65-58 lead, essentially turning away its Atlantic 10 foe.
Ben McLemore added 13 points and Jeff Withey had eight points, 11 rebounds and nine blocked shots for the Jayhawks (12-1), who enter Big 12 play having won 30 consecutive games at Allen Fieldhouse and 63 in a row against non-conference opponents.
Khalif Wyatt finished with 26 points for the Owls (10-3), who nearly had their second win over a top-10 team this season. Wyatt scored 33 in an upset of then-No. 3 Syracuse on Dec. 22.
temple, temple owls, sports
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pedestrian struck, killed on Broad Street 45 min ago
- 4 shot outside Del. club after Meek Mill performance 5 min ago
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist 9 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- 4 shot outside Del. club after Meek Mill...
5 min ago