76ers' Andrew Bynum set for season-ending knee surgery
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - March 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia 76ers center Andrew Bynum will have season-ending arthroscopic surgery on both knees Tuesday.
Bynum has not played this season because of bone bruises in both of his knees. The 25-year-old is an unrestricted free agent and may never play a game for the Sixers.
"After many months of rehabilitation and consulting with numerous doctors, Andrew and the doctors treating him determined that this is the best course of action at this point," general manager Tony DiLeo said Monday night. "We will continue to monitor and evaluate his status moving forward."-
The arthroscopic surgery will be performed by Dr. David Altchek of the Hospital of Special Surgery in New York. The procedure will clean out loose bodies from within the knees in an attempt to alleviate pain and swelling.
Bynum was shut down in training camp as a precaution and the Sixers originally hoped he'd be ready by opening night Oct. 31. Bynum said since training camp he would play this season. But after he experienced swelling in his right knee after a 5-on-5 scrimmage late last month, he acknowledged a return might not be possible.
Bynum was acquired from the Los Angeles Lakers as part of a four-team trade and was expected to make the 76ers contenders in the East.
He won two NBA titles in seven seasons with the Lakers. Bynum was coming off his best NBA season after averaging career highs with 18.7 points and 11.8 rebounds while making his first All-Star team, starting for the West. He was the NBA's third-leading rebounder and 20th-leading scorer, while also ranking sixth in the league with 1.93 blocked shots per game.
philadelphia 76ers, sports
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives 26 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again! 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire 27 min ago
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 2 min ago
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia 28 min ago
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in 8 min ago
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees 34 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
17 min ago
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
27 min ago
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
28 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
2 min ago