Bucks County girls football team headed to nationals
LEVITTOWN, Pa. - January 22, 2014 (WPVI) -- If you think girls don't play football, just ask the Pink Dynamite, a team of 13-14 year olds in Levittown, Bucks County.
"They think that girls aren't tough but we're tougher than them!" said Darnella McMillian.
These girls are good and recently they won five straight games in an NFL Regional Tournament.
The wins earned them a trip to the nationals played next month at the AT&T Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys.
"I can't believe that we're actually going to Dallas Texas and going to the stadium. We're kind of Eagles fans over here but we'll try our hardest," said Alexis McCoy.
The girls show the feminine side of football on down to their uniforms but don't let the pink fool you. There is a special reason why they are donning that color.
A little more than two years ago, the team's coach Debbie Karantinalli, was diagnosed with breast cancer, and had to step down to undergo treatment. The girls changed their name in her honor.
"We just brought it up that we'll call it Pink Dynamite. We got our shirts done and it was really exciting. Then we won the championship and we were really happy and it was all for her," said McCoy.
"It makes me cry. It's so thoughtful, it just makes you feel like people care and for children to care it's even more amazing!" said Karantinalli.
Her players are glad that the team is doing so well but say it's all for her.
"When you notice that you're playing so good and it's all just for her, it makes you want to cry," said McCoy.
How does Coach Karantinalli feel, being a cancer survivor and seeing her team get a chance to play all the way in Dallas?
"I am in awe of them," she said.
And the team says that they're in awe, of her.
Find out how you can support Pink Dynamite:
pennsylvania news, bucks county news, sports, jamie apody
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 52 min ago
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 42 min ago
- Wildfire risk prompts Red Flag Warning for NJ 27 min ago
- Road reopens months after Frankford water main break 57 min ago
- Man shot multiple times in West Philadelphia 42 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
52 min ago