Young and Howard lift Phillies over Marlins
MIAMI - May 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delmon Young homered and Ryan Howard added three hits and three RBIs to help carry the Philadelphia Phillies to a 7-3 win over the Miami Marlins on Tuesday night.
Tyler Cloyd (1-0) allowed two runs and eight hits in seven innings. He was recalled from Triple-A Lehigh Valley (International League) earlier in the day.
Miami's Jose Fernandez went five innings, allowing one run and five hits. He walked one and struck out two.
Philadelphia went ahead 2-1 in the sixth when Domonic Brown's ground out scored Howard from third. Howard led off with a single and took third on Young's double to deep center off Duane Below (0-1).
Howard's single with the bases loaded scored two runs and highlighted a four-run seventh that gave the Phillies a 6-1 lead. Howard returned to the lineup after missing two games with a sore left knee. He received a cortisone shot Sunday.
Young's ground out and Brown's double scored the other Phillies runs in the seventh. Young homered to left-center on a 2-2 pitch with one out in the fourth. It was his second home run of the season.
Juan Pierre's seventh-inning RBI single pulled Miami within 6-2.
Howard added an RBI single in the eighth off Wade LeBlanc.
Miami's Justin Ruggiano had a run-scoring double with two outs in the ninth.
Pinch-hitter Jordan Brown's sacrifice fly in the fifth scored Placido Polanco to tie it at 1 and take Fernandez off the hook.
philadelphia phillies, sports
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 18 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 53 min ago
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 18 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
18 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
18 min ago