Fmr. NBA star Mookie Blaylock facing charges in fatal crash
ATLANTA - June 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Former NBA star Mookie Blaylock was charged with driving on a suspended license and failing to stay in his lane in a head-on crash that killed a woman, police said Sunday.
Jonesboro Police Chief Franklin Allen said authorities wanted to talk to Blaylock, 46, before deciding whether he should face more serious charges. Officers had not been able to speak with Blaylock because of his injuries but they hope to do so as early as Monday, the chief said.
"The last update I got was that he is awake but groggy," Allen said.
Blaylock was driving an SUV that collided Friday with a van after crossing the center line in the Atlanta suburb of Jonesboro, police said. The crash killed Monica Murphy, 43. Her husband was driving the van and suffered a broken ankle.
Blaylock was seriously injured, but a spokeswoman at Atlanta Medical Center said his condition was upgraded to fair Sunday. He was initially in critical condition.
Allen said talking to Blaylock would be the first step in determining what caused the accident. The chief said those discussions and talks with prosecutors would determine whether Blaylock will face more charges.
Blaylock was a first-round draft pick by the New Jersey Nets out of Oklahoma in 1989.
He played for the Atlanta Hawks between 1992 and 1999, appeared in the 1994 NBA All-Star game and had his best season in 1996-97, averaging 17.4 points and 5.9 assists.
Blaylock also played for Golden State.
georgia, atlanta, sports
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 47 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014