ABC News: Arrest warrant issued for Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez
NORTH ATTLEBOROUGH, Mass. - June 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- ABC News is citing sources as saying an arrest warrant has been issued for star football player Aaron Hernandez.
The New England Patriots tight end is expected to be charged in connection with the shooting death of a semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, 27, who was Hernandez's friend.
The investigator and other law enforcement sources tell ABC News that the security system - which included video surveillance - was smashed intentionally. In addition, a cell phone used by Hernandez was handed over to investigators "in pieces'' by his attorneys, the sources said.
Sources tell ABC News that police also want to know why a team of house cleaners were hired on Monday to scrub Hernandez's mansion.
The warrant has allegedly been issued on a charge of obstruction of justice.
State and local police spent hours at Hernandez's home on Tuesday night as another group of officers searched an industrial park about a mile away where Lloyd's body was discovered the day before.
Several law enforcement sources tell ABC News that police believe Lloyd was killed between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. Monday, shot in the back of the head in a scrubby clearing of the industrial park. His well dressed body was not found until 5:30 p.m. Monday by a teenage jogger.
Sports Illustrated reported that the link between Hernandez and the case was a rented Chevrolet Suburban with Rhode Island plates that police had been searching for. The Sun Chronicle of Attleboro, Mass., said the SUV was registered to Enterprise and investigators wanted to analyze it for fingerprints.
Information from the Associated Press was used in this article.
new england patriots, body found, homicide, massachusetts, sports
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy 35 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser 18 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious'
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South...
3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
35 min ago