Andy Murray wins Wimbledon, beats Novak Djokovic in 3 sets
LONDON (AP) - July 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- From the lawns of Wimbledon to the lochs of Scotland, all of Britain can celebrate.
Andy Murray made it possible Sunday, winning his country's hallowed tennis tournament to become the first British man in 77 years to raise the trophy at the All England Club.
Yes, this was history, and Murray's 6-4, 7-5, 6-4 victory over top-seeded Novak Djokovic was a fitting close to nearly eight decades of British frustration in its own backyard: A straight-setter, yes, but a hard-fought, 3 hour, 9 minute affair filled with long, punishing rallies and a final game that may have felt like another 77 years, with Murray squandering three match points before finally putting it away after four deuces.
On a cloudless, 80-degree day on Centre Court, Murray put his name beside that of Fred Perry, the last British man to win Wimbledon, back in 1936.
That sentence doesn't have to be written again.
The second-seeded Murray beat the best in Djokovic, a six-time Grand Slam winner known for both a mental and physical fitness built to handle what he faced Sunday: A crowd full of 15,000 partisans rooting against him, to say nothing of Murray himself, who, since falling to Roger Federer in the final last year, had shed some baggage by winning the Olympic gold medal on Centre Court, then following that with his first Grand Slam title at the U.S. Open.
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila. 10 min ago
- Winter Warm Up 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 43 min ago
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco 54 min ago
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor 33 min ago
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
35 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg...
33 min ago
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
30 min ago
- Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
25 min ago