Delaware tops Chester Co. team for spot in Little League World Series
NEWARK, Del. - August 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Two local teams competed for a chance to go to the Little League World Series but like the old saying goes - there can only be one.
The third time is the charm for Delaware's Newark Nationals.
This is the third time the Little League team battled it out in the Mid-Atlantic Regionals.
They beat Chester County's Lionville Little League team 8-2 and are on their way to Williamsport for the Little League World Series.
"I've coached all of them but two," said Erick Miller.
At Timothy's in Newark, Miller and other former coaches joined the crowd erupting in an emotional applause.
"To see these kids up there and to rep Delaware, this is awesome," said Miller.
This team will now live the dream for past players who were so close before.
"I'm glad it's them, they deserve it," said Dominic Pertucci.
Frank Giancatarino, Lionville Little League President, started the night with the same dream.
"I'm probably more nervous than excited but excited as well," he said.
Family members and dozens from the community packed a local Applebee's hoping for a win, but remain proud of their team regardless.
"It's different because you're seeing a bunch of kids your age do something you could never do," said Stephen Dilullo.
Now it's the beginning of another nerve wracking journey as Newark heads to the big leagues.
Meanwhile the team is hoping for some financial help as they head to Williamsport. To donate to the team's effort visit: http://www.newarknationalll.com.
pennsylvania news, new jersey news, newark, sports, annie mccormick
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 11 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens 40 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 39 min ago
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer 37 min ago
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car 36 min ago
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI 43 min ago
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 34 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 47 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
44 min ago
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
11 min ago
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
40 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite,...
47 min ago