Mansfield University wins first night football game in 121 years
MANSFIELD, Pa. (AP) - September 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- A northern Pennsylvania college is in the spotlight after winning its first night football game in more than a century.
Officials say the crowd was electric Saturday night at Mansfield University, which knocked off Princeton 24-14.
Mansfield hosted the first-ever night football game in 1892. However, that ill-fated contest ended at halftime after referees declared the lighting was too poor to continue.
Mansfield didn't try stadium lighting again for 121 years. Its athletic director jokes the university wanted to wait for all the bugs to be worked out of electric lights before taking another chance.
That chance came Saturday. Mansfield junior Jeremy Estermera ran for a game-high 120 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Mountaineers to victory.
pennsylvania news, princeton news, sports
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg 29 min ago
- Family displaced in Wilmington house fire
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working 6 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working
6 min ago