Mansfield University wins first night football game in 121 years
MANSFIELD, Pa. (AP) - September 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- A northern Pennsylvania college is in the spotlight after winning its first night football game in more than a century.
Officials say the crowd was electric Saturday night at Mansfield University, which knocked off Princeton 24-14.
Mansfield hosted the first-ever night football game in 1892. However, that ill-fated contest ended at halftime after referees declared the lighting was too poor to continue.
Mansfield didn't try stadium lighting again for 121 years. Its athletic director jokes the university wanted to wait for all the bugs to be worked out of electric lights before taking another chance.
That chance came Saturday. Mansfield junior Jeremy Estermera ran for a game-high 120 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Mountaineers to victory.
pennsylvania news, princeton news, sports
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 53 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
53 min ago