Reid, McNabb return to Philly for Eagles-Chiefs game
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - September 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Eagles' new era under head coach Chip Kelly takes a step back in time Thursday night.
Former Eagles head coach Andy Reid has returned to South Philadelphia to square off against his old team.
"It's good to be back," said Reid as he arrived with his undefeated (2-0) Kansas City Chiefs Wednesday.
It obviously will be an emotional game for Reid, his former players in Philadelphia, fans and the entire organization. Reid led the Eagles to their most successful stretch during his 14 seasons. They made nine playoff appearances, won six division titles, played in five NFC championship games and one Super Bowl.
Current Eagles say there is no question the old coach still has close ties to many on the team.
"I'm pretty sure it's going to be emotional game for a lot of guys," said Eagles wide receiver Jason Avant.
But after their disappointing loss to San Diego on Sunday, they say old coach or not, this team needs to win.
"After that loss& this is a must-win type of game," said Eagles running back LeSean McCoy.
"It's just another football game," said quarterback Michael Vick, trying to downplay the hype. "We have to get ready, we can't focus on the whole dynamic of the situation. We have a football game to prepare for, and we have to do everything to ensure that we have a chance to win the football game. That is what is most important. It's our third game in 11 days, but we're conditioned for it."
Making Reid's return even more special, the Eagles will retire Donovan McNabb's No. 5 jersey at halftime.
McNabb, a six-time Pro Bowl quarterback, led the Eagles to four NFC championship games and a Super Bowl loss in 11 seasons before he was traded to Washington in 2010.
McNabb went 92-49-1 with the Eagles and holds franchise records for completions (2801), passing yards (32,873) and passing touchdowns (216).
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
philadelphia eagles, donovan mcnabb, andy reid, chip kelly, sports
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death 7 min ago
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- Suspect sought after West Philadelphia bank robbery
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos