Michael Carter-Williams equals Shaq with first-week honor
PHILADELPHIA - November 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia rookie Michael Carter-Williams has joined Shaquille O'Neal as the only NBA players to win a Player of the Week award to open a career.
Carter-Williams won the Eastern Conference honor after averaging 20.7 points and 9.0 assists in a surprising 3-0 week that included victories over Miami and Chicago. The No. 11 pick in the draft had nine steals in the 76ers' season-opening victory over the Heat, the most ever in an NBA debut.
O'Neal won the award in 1992 while playing for Orlando.
Kevin Love won the Western Conference award after leading Minnesota to a 3-0 week and averaging an NBA-best 29.7 points.
philadelphia 76ers, nba, michael carter-williams, sports
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 23 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 2 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police