Drexel Beats Nova for the 1st Time
VILLANOVA, Pa. (AP) - December 9, 2006 -- Bashir Mason scored 21 points and Frank Elegar added 14 points and 11 rebounds as Drexel beat Villanova for the first time, 81-76 Saturday night.
Drexel (6-2) ended a 17-game losing streak to the Wildcats in a series that dates to 1924. The Dragons, who have faced Villanova just twice since 1990, extended their overall winning streak to four.
Curtis Sumpter had 31 points and 10 rebounds for Villanova (7-2), which had its five-game winning streak halted.
Elegar scored on follow-up with 4:12, breaking a 71-all tie, and Drexel held the lead the rest of the way.
Mason sliced through the lane and scored on a runner, and Elegar hit a jump hook to give the Dragons a 77-71 lead with 2:44 remaining. Drexel's Chaz Crawford grabbed two crucial offensive rebounds in the final minute to help protect a three-point lead. Mason added a pair of free throws with 13.8 seconds left to help put the game out of reach.
Drexel didn't back down Villanova in the back-and-forth game. Villanova seemingly took control in the first half with a 15-0 run for a 41-33 lead. Shane Clark started and ended the run with a 3-pointer.
Sumpter scored 12 points in the first half, while Elegar led Drexel with 10.
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3
- Prosecutor: no charges against George Zimmerman
- Protestors block ICE building in Spring Garden
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Power returns after outage at Christiana Mall
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro