Kalas: Like father, like son
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - October 23, 2008 (WPVI) -- Harry Kalas is proud to be in his 4th World Series with the Phillies; this one is no doubt, the most special.
"My son's with the Rays, I'm with the Phillies, so somebody in the family is going to be a winner; hopefully, it's me," Harry said.
His son, Todd, responded to his father's pro-Phillies comments.
"No, not happening. I appreciate his sentiments, and it is great that one of us will be world champion and the other still has the league championship, but unfortunately, I think that league championship is all you're going to be raising next year," Todd said to his father.
A Hall-of-Fame broadcaster and one of the most distinctive voices in sports history, Harry Kalas has always been the voice of reason for his family, but not when it comes to the opinion of who will walk away as world champs.
"I think we've got the best bullpen in the majors and I don't think the Rays do and I think that'll be the difference," Harry said.
"No, our bullpen's been the strongest; you've got the backend covered with Lidge, but the frontside, the backside, I'll take our chances," Todd said.
As they look out onto the field, father and son will never be callous about what this experience means currently and as they look back on it years from now.
"You can't write it; to be here with Todd and have our teams in the World Series is something that I'll never forget," Harry said.
"It's a once in a lifetime experience, there's no doubt about it. I'm going to savor every single moment of it, I can't wait for the games to start and let the best Kalas win," Todd said.
college, keith russell
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians 48 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 25 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 48 min ago
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- Video: Swan attacks elderly woman in Berks Co.
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade