Temple best in Philly after beating La Salle
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - February 28, 2010 -- Juan Fernandez sank seven 3-pointers and scored 23 points, Lavoy Allen had 17 points and 20 rebounds and No. 20 Temple beat La Salle 65-53 on Sunday in a win that cemented the Owls as the best in the city.
The Owls (24-5, 12-2 Atlantic 10) wiped out a one-point halftime deficit with an 18-0 run to open the second half. Fernandez led the way, hitting four 3s during the game-changing run. He returned to the starting lineup for the first time since Feb. 3. He was coming off the bench because of concussion-like symptoms following a blow to the head on Jan. 23.
Temple also won the Big 5 title with its first 4-0 mark since 1987-88. Winning the city series means as much to the competing schools as a conference title. The Owls can win one of those, also. They are in first place in the A-10.
philadelphia, temple, college
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 39 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 5 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire