35 medals for Big 10 at 2012 Summer Olympics
PARK RIDGE, Ill. - August 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Over 100 former and current Big Ten student-athletes and coaches represented 32 countries in 24 sports at the 2012 Olympic games, winning 35 medals.
Michigan athletes won 12 medals, four of these going to former volunteer assistant coach Michael Phelps. Penn State athletes secured five medals, with Christa Harmotto and Megan Hodge winning silver in women's volleyball, and Natalie Dell involved in Team USA's women's rowing quadruple skulls bronze effort.
Minnesota athletes won four medals, with javelin thrower Barbara Spotáková winning gold for the Czech Republic, and Lindsay Whalen contributing to the USA basketball team's gold medal performance.
Nebraska athletes also won four medals, led by gold medalist USA freestyle wrestler Jordan Burroughs. Northwestern and Purdue athletes claimed three medals each, while Illinois and Indiana athletes each brought home two.
olympics, penn state, big ten, college
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Video: Obama misspells "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" in Aretha... 47 min ago