Holy Family U. basketball coach suspended
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - February 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- The basketball coach of Holy Family University is suspended while an assault investigation is underway.
Holy Family University confirms to Action News that Coach John O'Connor was suspended from the team yesterday pending the outcome of the investigation.
Action News has learned according to sources and police documents that a 19-year-old player claims he was assaulted last month during basketball practice. Allegedly, O'Connor elbowed the player in the face and also knocked him to the gym floor with a backhand.
The player was treated for a bloody nose and scratch to the forehead.
O'Connor is fourth head coach of the Holy Family University men's basketball program, a position he has held since April 30, 2010.
Previously, O'Connor was an assistant coach at Georgia Tech.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, assault, holy family university, college basketball
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
- Turning Milder 14 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Car, SUV collide outside Trenton firehouse 10 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed