Inspiration on film: Villanova student managers
VILLANOVA - February 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Villanova basketball program draws inspiration from unlikely sources: Sophomore Frank Kineavy, student manager for the men, and freshman Nick Gaynor, student manager for the women.
Both are wheelchair-bound with cerebral palsy.
The social justice filmmaking class on campus has put together a documentary about the duo and their inspiring tale that goes way beyond the basketball court.
"Me and Frank are really blazing the trail for other people with disablities," Nick said.
Both made the dean's list and both have used their roles in the athletic department to escape isolation.
"Hopefully the more people that see all of this will feel comfortable to take the time to build a relationship with me," said Frank.
Frank can't walk, write or talk. He's only able to verbalize his thoughts with the help of a special machine, but he has pushed all the right buttons with the impression he's made on Jay Wright's Cats.
"He can't play, but this means the world to him. He makes us step back and so, we're lucky if it means so much to him," said Wright.
Nick Gaynor's philosophy is simple - He may never be able to shoot a basketball, but his constant upbeat attitude is a slam dunk.
"You don't have to have talent to make an impact," said Nick.
The documentary is scheduled to be show at four different film festivals starting this weekend in Chicago.
For more info on the documentary you can visit comingoffthedlmovie.com
villanova, college basketball, keith russell
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Driver killed in collision with Taxi Cab in Olney 11 min ago
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Clouds to sun, cool today
7 min ago