Georgetown dismisses junior F Whittington
Georgetown coach John Thompson III announced Saturday that junior forward Greg Whittington has been dismissed from the team.
Whittington was ahead of schedule in his rehab from a torn ACL suffered this past summer, but it was still unclear whether he would have been able to return to the court for the Hoyas this season. If he did return, it would have been late in Big East play.
Whittington was slated to be the team's top player entering the season with the departure of Otto Porter to the NBA.
The Hoyas are 3-2 this season and are led by the backcourt of D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera (19 ppg) and Markel Starks (16.4 ppg). Georgetown also got a lift when UCLA transfer Josh Smith was cleared by the NCAA to play this entire season. The 6-foot-8 big man is averaging 14 points per contest through the first five games.
It's unclear whether Whittington will attempt to transfer elsewhere or look to try and play professional basketball.
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 26 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos