Georgetown dismisses junior F Whittington
Georgetown coach John Thompson III announced Saturday that junior forward Greg Whittington has been dismissed from the team.
Whittington was ahead of schedule in his rehab from a torn ACL suffered this past summer, but it was still unclear whether he would have been able to return to the court for the Hoyas this season. If he did return, it would have been late in Big East play.
Whittington was slated to be the team's top player entering the season with the departure of Otto Porter to the NBA.
The Hoyas are 3-2 this season and are led by the backcourt of D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera (19 ppg) and Markel Starks (16.4 ppg). Georgetown also got a lift when UCLA transfer Josh Smith was cleared by the NCAA to play this entire season. The 6-foot-8 big man is averaging 14 points per contest through the first five games.
It's unclear whether Whittington will attempt to transfer elsewhere or look to try and play professional basketball.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos