Gophers' Ellenson leaves hoops, still with track
Minnesota sophomore Wally Ellenson has left the basketball program.
MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota sophomore Wally Ellenson has left the program.
Coach Richard Pitino says the team respects Ellenson's decision, which was announced by the university Tuesday.
A native of Rice Lake, Wis., Ellenson appeared in nine games this season, totaling 16 points, 12 rebounds, two assists and a steal. As a freshman, the 6-foot-4 reserve overcame a broken left hand suffered early in the season and played in nine games.
Ellenson plans to remain on the Gophers' track and field team. Last year, he placed eighth in the high jump at the NCAA outdoor championships.
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 57 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos