Wood's grandfather falls ill at NC St. scrimmage
North Carolina State officials stopped a public scrimmage when the grandfather of senior Scott Wood fell ill at courtside and was carried away on a stretcher.RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina State officials stopped a public scrimmage Friday night when the grandfather of senior Scott Wood fell ill at courtside and was carried away on a stretcher.
Team spokesman Dwayne Harrison said Wood's grandfather was taken to a hospital for evaluation, but he was alert and conscious. His name wasn't immediately available.
A visibly upset Wood followed behind the stretcher, and officials stopped the 20-minute intrasquad scrimmage with 3:35 left.
It was part of the "Primetime with the Pack" event for the Wolfpack, who are expected to be among the favorites in the Atlantic Coast Conference. It included second-year coach Mark Gottfried entering by riding a zip line down to the court from the second level of the PNC Arena stands.
The event drew more than 10,000 fans.
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Couple attacked by cat say they'll get it help
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos