Stabbing occurs at Syracuse's Orange Madness
A 25-year-old man was stabbed at Syracuse University's Carrier Dome on Friday night during the men's basketball team's Orange Madness event, the Syracuse Post-Standard reported.SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Syracuse University ended its annual "Orange Madness" event at the Carrier Dome 30 minutes early after a man was stabbed during the celebration.
Police said the stabbing happened in an arena concourse at around 9:30 p.m. Friday.
The 25-year-old male victim was in stable condition at Upstate University Hospital, Syracuse police Sgt. Tom Connellan told the Syracuse Post-Standard.
"We were saddened to learn of the incident at the Dome last night," Syracuse chancellor Nancy Cantor and athletic director Daryl Gross said in a statement. "There is no place and no tolerance for anything like this, and future Orange Madness events will be designed to prevent incidents such as this. We are proud of the terrific partnership among Syracuse City Police, SU Department of Public Safety, and Carrier Dome security staff, and we are confident that their work will continue to maintain a safe and secure environment for our patrons who come to the Dome to enjoy the hard work and efforts of our student-athletes."
Connellan tells reporters there were at least 15,000 people at the event, which celebrates the start of the basketball season.
He says the decision to cut the party short came after there were several fights.
Connellan says that neither the fights, nor the stabbing, were believed to involve Syracuse students.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos